The South Baldy Hill Climb course runs from the Water
Canyon Campground in the Cibola National Forest
up Forest Road 235 to the summit of South
Baldy in the Magdalena Range.
Water Canyon Campground is approximately 20 minutes from the
Socorro Plaza. To get there:
- Take I-25 to Exit 147 (South Socorro).
- Follow California St. North, to the first stoplight (US
- Turn left, following US 60 (Spring St). West. There will
be one four-way stop, where you turn left to stay on US
- Proceed West on US 60 to the "Water Canyon" sign (past
mile marker 124).
- Turn left, to the race start at the campground. (~5
- Park where-ever you can find a space.
- Start: 34°01'29.39"N
107°07'49.86"W. Finish: 33°59'28"N 107°11'17"W
The course is aproximately 8.3 miles long, and climbs nearly
4000 feet to the 10700' summit. The entire course is firm gravel
and is fairly smooth when dry, but we've seen snow on the road
in June. This is a long, tough climb, but it can be completed in
a little over an hour.
|3D Course Map[GPS
|Click To Enlarge
||Click To Enlarge